The successful use and application of steel and metalwork will depend on the environment, the grade of the metal which is selected, the expectations of the customer and its maintenance. It will also rely heavily on the surface treatment which is selected.
There are many reasons why steel surfaces are treated, from making them more attractive through to protecting them against scratching, peeling, extreme weather and corrosion. Read on to find out more about steel surface treatment.
Why treat steel?
While surface treatment is not a new process, there are increasingly more reasons as to why you might choose to treat steel. For example, surface treatment on steel can be used for:
- Decoration, aesthetics or reflectivity
- Improved hardness or sturdiness
- Prevention of corrosion
Treatment of metal surfaces plays an enormous role in extending the life of metals, such as in automotive bodies and construction materials. At Steel Fabrication Services, as a standard, our structural steelwork and metalwork is finished in a zinc phosphate primer. However, we can deliver items in a range of finishes to meet your unique requirements.
What industries require steel surface treatment?
Almost every industry will have a need for metal surface treatment equipment. Among the industries and areas that require metal surface treatment include:
- automotive industry
- electrical industry
- medical industry
- industrial equipment
- container industry
Types of steel surface treatment
Steel Fabrication services offer a range of surface treatments which include but are not limited to:
- Zinc Phosphate Primers: formulated with the mineral zinc phosphate that provides inhibitive or active corrosion protection to protect the steel.
- Powder coating: involves applying a powder material using an electrostatic or compressed air method. The powder is then cured (heated to its melting point) so that it flows to form a smooth film. This dries to provide a durable finish that is resistant to cracking, peeling, scratches, UV rays and rust.
- Hot Dip Galvanised Finish: offers longer lasting protection against all conditions. This is ideal for use in a wide range of pipe related applications.
- Hot Zinc Spray: uses Metallisation Wire 02E Zinc (Zn). Through grit blasting to SA2.5 to provide the best possible key for the zinc layer, surface pre-treatment is achieved. Zinc is applied to spec, normally 50-100 microns.
Few materials can compare with the strength, durability and versatility that you get from steel and with the correct surface treatment you will have a high quality, lasting product.
If you need quality steel that is fabricated to suit your unique needs, contact Steel Fabrication Services today. Our team of expert structural steel fabricators have the experience and knowledge to answer any of your questions and will ensure that you find the best solution to suit your needs. To contact us today, simply call, fax, email or drop by our Brookvale location.